1. A good leader has an exemplary character. It is of utmost
importance that a leader is trustworthy to lead others. A leader needs
to be trusted and be known to live their life with honestly and
integrity. A good leader "walks the talk" and in doing so earns the
right to have responsibility for others. True authority is born from
respect for the good character and trustworthiness of the person who
2. A good leader is enthusiastic about their work or cause and also
about their role as leader. People will respond more openly to a
person of passion and dedication. Leaders need to be able to be a
source of inspiration, and be a motivator towards the required action
or cause. Although the responsibilities and roles of a leader may be
different, the leader needs to be seen to be part of the team working
towards the goal. This kind of leader will not be afraid to roll up
their sleeves and get dirty.
3. A good leader is confident. In order to lead and set direction a
leader needs to appear confident as a person and in the leadership
role. Such a person inspires confidence in others and draws out the
trust and best efforts of the team to complete the task well. A leader
who conveys confidence towards the proposed objective inspires the
best effort from team members.
4. A leader also needs to function in an orderly and purposeful manner
in situations of uncertainty. People look to the leader during times
of uncertainty and unfamiliarity and find reassurance and security
when the leader portrays confidence and a positive demeanor.
5. Good leaders are tolerant of ambiguity and remain calm, composed
and steadfast to the main purpose. Storms, emotions, and crises come
and go and a good leader takes these as part of the journey and keeps
a cool head.
6. A good leader, as well as keeping the main goal in focus, is able
to think analytically. Not only does a good leader view a situation as
a whole, but is able to break it down into sub parts for closer
inspection. While keeping the goal in view, a good leader can break it
down into manageable steps and make progress towards it.
7. A good leader is committed to excellence. Second best does not lead
to success. The good leader not only maintains high standards, but
also is proactive in raising the bar in order to achieve excellence in